Slip and fall accidents can be the source of many types of injuries, from minor to permanent injuries. Treatment for these injuries can require visits to the doctor's office, specialist centers, surgery centers, and require continuing care. Permanent injuries may require multiple surgeries and pain management care to deal with the slip and fall injury.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
In New York, there are many types of injuries that can stem from a slip and fall accident. These injuries can include:
- Broken Bones: One of the most common injuries that a person can suffer in a slip and fall is a broken bone. Commonly broken bones can include hip fractures, shoulder and collarbone fractures, and more. Broken bones can take a long time to heal and may require surgery to put in an artificial hip, knee, or other replacement.
- Bruising: In a serious fall, it is common for a person to suffer bruising in the area of impact. Bruises can make the affected area painfully sensitive to the touch and can last a long time, especially for more serious injuries.
- Sprains: When a person twists or overexerts one of their limbs, it can result in a sprain. For fall injuries it is common for a person to sprain their ankle.
- Back or Spine Injuries: When a person falls, there is always a potential that they can land on their back. Depending on the area of impact and the force of the impact, back injuries from falls can range from mild to severe. Any back injury, however, can seriously affect a person's way of life.
- Head Injuries: If a person falls and lands on their head, they risk a head injury. Skull fractures, concussions, and similar injuries are particularly serious and place a person's livelihood at risk.
- Wrist Injuries: A common instinct in a fall is to reach out with one's hands to break the fall. While this can prevent other injuries, depending on the severity of the fall, it can lead to injuries that affect a person's wrist.
Treatment for Slip and Fall Injuries
When a person is injured by a slip and fall accident, they will have to undergo certain treatments to recover fully. These treatments can be costly and time-consuming. Some common treatments can include:
- X-rays: X-rays are often done frequently throughout a person's recovery when they have a broken bone. Each individual visit can be costly.
- Casts and Slings: If a person breaks their bone, they may need to place it in a cast. Casts can be bothersome and intrusive, greatly restricting a person's way of life.
- Pain Medications: Patients who have serious injuries are almost always prescribed pain medications to help cope. These medications can be expensive.
- Repeat Doctor and Specialist Visits: Much of the time, injuries from falls are not just over with after one doctor's visit. They can have longer term effects that require frequent medical care specialist visits and the costs associated with them.
Slip and fall injuries can be painful and costly. If you or a loved one has suffered a slip and fall injury, contact personal injury attorney Frederic Abramson. When you're ready to take the next step, contact us to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today.