People the world over travel to New York for both business and pleasure. Last year over 618 million people visited New York. Whether you are commuting from work from New Jersey or visiting from the United Kingdom chances are that you will be out and about. Unfortunately, a fixed percentage of people become injured as a result to an accident that it is not their fault.
Accidents are difficult enough to deal with when you are at home. But the situation is even worse when you are travelling and you get injured. If you are visiting on business, you may have to miss meetings. You might have a flight to catch. You may not know any doctors or medical facilities. You may worry that you don't have sufficient medical insurance. You also may wonder what you can do protect your rights and receive compensation for the injuries that you sustained which wasn't your fault.
MOST COMMON ACCIDENT TYPES
If the other driver caused the accident in which you were injured, he or she will be required, legally, to compensate you for your damages. As most drivers are insured, your damages will be paid by the other driver's insurance company. This is the reason we all get liability insurance: to cover us in case we cause injury to someone else. Meaning, you should not hesitate to seek what you are owed by an insurance company. If you were not at fault and were injured in a car accident, you are entitled to recover the following from the other driver's insurance company:
- Past and future medical bills and costs
- Wages lost due to missed work, vacation days or sick days
- A reduction in income or a permanent loss of income due to injuries or death
- Pain and suffering
- Anxiety and emotional distress
- Wrongful death damages
- Compensation for loss of companionship
Some of the most common examples of causes for a person's injury in a slip and fall case can include:
- Storefront Spills: If you enter into a store to shop, your a considered an invitee and the store owner is required to ensure your safety. When a spill is left uncleaned, or a hazardous area of the store is left unmarked, you can easily injure themselves. The store owner may be able to be held liable for the injuries to you.
- Ice and Snow: Many municipalities impose a duty through their ordinances for both homeowners and commercial spaces to ensure that their sidewalks and other means of pedestrian traffic are kept free of winter weather hazards such as snow and ice. In New York, winter can be especially harsh, leaving behind slippery snow and ice that can injure individuals walking around.
- Unsafe Maintenance: When a store or other public building has passageways for persons to walk allow these passageways to fall into disrepair, it can present unsafe conditions for the average pedestrian, which can lead to injuries. A person can be entitled to relief when they are injuries in these types of situations.
In New York, there are many types of injuries that can stem from a slip and fall accident. These injuries can include:
- Broken Bones: One of the most common injuries that a person can suffer in a slip and fall is a broken bone. Commonly broken bones can include hip fractures, shoulder and collarbone fractures, and more. Broken bones can take a long time to heal and may require surgery to put in an artificial hip, knee, or other replacement.
- Bruising: In a serious fall, it is common for a person to suffer bruising in the area of impact. Bruises can make the affected area painfully sensitive to the touch and can last a long time, especially for more serious injuries.
- Sprains: When a person twists or overexerts one of their limbs, it can result in a sprain. For fall injuries it is common for a person to sprain their ankle.
- Back or Spine Injuries: When a person falls, there is always a potential that they can land on their back. Depending on the area of impact and the force of the impact, back injuries from falls can range from mild to severe. Any back injury, however, can seriously affect a person's way of life.
- Head Injuries: If a person falls and lands on their head, they risk a head injury. Skull fractures, concussions, and similar injuries are particularly serious and place a person's livelihood at risk.
- Wrist Injuries: A common instinct in a fall is to reach out with one's hands to break the fall. While this can prevent other injuries, depending on the severity of the fall, it can lead to injuries that affect a person's wrist.
Even if you live outside the United States, we can protect your rights by taking care of all legal aspects with your case. We will deal with all of the insurance adjusters. If necessary, we will be to handle nearly all aspects of your case without you being in New York. The only time you may be required to come to New York is for a deposition and possible trial. However, we will work our best to schedule a videotaped deposition so you don't have fly in. Moreover, more than 95% cases in New York are settled prior to trial. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.