Contact Us Today 212-233-0666


Transferring a Intracompany Employee from Overseas to the US

Posted by Frederic Abramson | Aug 01, 2009 | 0 Comments

If your company is looking to transfer an employee to the United States on a temporary assignment, an L visa may be the way to go. Here are the important provisions for obtaining an L visa:

  1. The worker must have worked abroad for your company for at least one year within the preceding three years;
  2. The foreign and the US company must be part of the same \”qualifying organization\';
  3. The worker must have worked in either a management capacity, executive capacity or have specialized knowledge;
  4. The worker must come to the United States for a temporary period.

The L category has two parts: L-1 for the employee who wishes to transfer and L-2 for the transferee.  Be aware that the family member accompanying the employee  cannot get employment authorization through an L-2.

Here are the procedures for obtaining an L-1visa:

  1. The US employer must file a petition to classify the employee has a temporary worker.  The petition requires evidence that your company is a \”qualifying organization\” and specific information about the worker.
  2. Additional evidence is needed if the worker is needed to open a new office.
  3. Be aware that there are special rules under NAFTA.

About the Author

Frederic Abramson

I am the principal of The Law Office of Frederic R. Abramson. Im an experienced litigator with experience in a wide range of legal areas. My practice encompasses civil litigation, business law, personal injury and real estate. I have handled litigation matters from inception to trial. I have co...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Schedule a Consultation

When you're ready to take the next step you can begin the process online. If you'd like to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation in my office you can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 212-233-0666.